Saturday, December 4, 2010

Finland and vital wheat gluten.

 I'm back from Finland. It took a long time to get there and even longer to get back. I went through two time zones and 4 countries on my way home, it was quite exhausting actually. But the stay in Finland was definitely worth it! I was there for a meeting, which gave nice results even though their future is challenging. The "spare time" was even better. I enjoyed: having a social life for two days, seeing trees, the wind-free and cold snowy weather, the thai-buffet we had for lunch, ice cream and the buildings in Vaasa. Most fun of all was the activity we did on Wednesday evening: sauna and ICE SWIMMING. The procedure was easy; sit in the sauna for 10 minutes to warm up the body, then out and in the 0,5 C/32,90 F cold water. I even went swimming 5-10 meters without dying of the cold. Then up and repeat the procedure or go and put on clothes. It was really cool and I might share a picture with you if I can get hold on any. 

Anyway, on to the food. I found a small health store with some organic food, and there I found something I've been longing for for quite a while now; vital wheat gluten! I bought the big bag (1 kg/2,2 lb) and squeezed it into my bag. Now it's here, and I need all your best ideas what to use it for! I don't want a basic seitan recipe, since I can do that from scratch. I'm thinking sausages and stuff like that! And chickpea cutlets of course. Hit me with you're best ideas!



I also have 10 limes lying around, any ideas for those?

7 comments:

  1. Ice swimming sounds really cool! Congrats on your bag of vital wheat gluten. My favourite things to do with seitan are chorizo and steamed red seitan both from Viva Vegan. (If you want to give the recipes a shot but don't have the book, you can email me.)
    Limes = mojito!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ice swimming wow!I 'd love to try it! I don't know about the wheat gluten (I've never cooked with it) but for the limes I'd say raw lime pie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After you make some basic seitan I'd really, really recommend trying Seitan Bourguinon. It is the best thing I've ever made with seitan. Well, that and fajitas with marinated strips of seitan (marinade from the Candle Cafe Cookbook). Ooh, I'm making myself hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. RE:
    Tack! Ja det rekommenderar jag verkligen.

    Vilken härlig blogg du har :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Säg till om du behöver mer gluten, vi skickar det om du vill.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Johan: Tack! Jag flyttar till Island i Januari och där kanske det finns, annars hör jag kanske av mig!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Limecurd? Det tycker jag låter gott.

    ReplyDelete